Contrary to what my friends believe, I get plenty of sleep. I love sleep. For me, sleep is medicine for my body. Unfortunately, I have noticed that my peers (and my parents) do not get enough rest!
How important is sleep when it comes to your hair and skin?
IT IS EVERYTHING! Other than being important for living a long, productive and healthy life, sleep is equally important for healthy hair and skin.
Here are some cold hard facts:
1. Lack of sleep leads to increased levels of stress hormones in the body. Chronic high levels of stress hormones in the body can cause increased inflammation within the skin that eventually leads to fast aging (including wrinkles) and may worsen acne. The hair is very sensitive to changes within the body, and hairless is usually the main result of an internal disturbance (stress hormones).
2. Stress can also trigger the onset of hereditary hair loss and accelerate its progression.
3. Coincidence that 80% of men and 40% of women experience hair loss and 1 in 4 of us suffer from some form of a sleep problem?
4. Those with bad sleep habits can have trouble with skin sensitivity and irritation due to a reduction in the skin's ability to protect itself from chemicals/pollutants in the environment.
5. Sleep helps to heal wounds faster. Think of acne scars as wounds. Anabolic hormones (growth hormones) are secreted preferentially during sleep.
6. Lack of sleep leads to dark and puffy eyes and a dehydrated and dull completion.
7. When the body is deprived of anything necessary for it to function at optimal levels it will shut down all production of unnecessary functions, such as growing hair or removing toxins from skin.
Everyone deserves their "beauty" sleep. To develop good sleeping habits, try these tips:
1. Avoid caffeine 4 to 6 hours before bed.
2. Limit alcohol and heavy meals before sleep
3. Get regular exercise (it increases circulation and delivers oxygen and nutrients to skin and hair).
4. Choose a regular bedtime and stick to it!
5. Try to wake up at the same time every morning, even on weekends.
Get your beauty rest!